Puerto Rico Jazz

Puerto Rico Jazz
Puerto Rico Jazz

viernes, 24 de junio de 2011

CD Review: Brulee - New Beginnings




CD Review: Brulee - New Beginnings


The changes from pop to swing on the first track "The Miracle of Love" should give you a hint about the odd but effective fusion of jazz and 70's rock in Brulee's music. The phrasing and harmonies of Julie Wiener and Doug Onstad duo on "Perfectly Flawed" brings memories of groups like The Carpenters and The Mamas and the Papas.

Most of the songs are originals, but the release also includes some classics like "Skylark", and "Summertime". The arrangement and nice scats by Wiener on "Summertime", along with the original "Dance with me" is the closest this duo gets to a traditional jazz sound. "Dance with me" also has all the elements of an American Songbook standard.

The accordion adds to the french feel on "Si C'est Un Oui" a song that echoes the great french singers like Edith Piaf. Bob Dylan's "Love Minus Zero No Limit" and the Rolling Stones "Dead Flowers" are unusual selections for a jazz album, and demontrates the divesity of influences on Brulee's music.

The effective medleys and smooth transition from Cole Porter "I've got you under my skin" with the Rolling Stones "Under my Thumb" and the original "Come on a my house" with "I ain't got nobody" shows the creativity of this duo.

Tracks: The Miracle of Love, Perfectly Flawed, Skylark, Summertime, Dance with me, Come on a my house/I ain't got nobody, Love minus Zero No Limit, Si C'est Un Oui, I've got you under my skin/Under my thumb, Dead Flowers, New Beginnings

Musicians: Julie Wiener - vocals, Doug Onstad - keyboards, vocals, Tom Shader - bass, Chip Trombley - drums, percussion, Gus Garelick - violin, Dennis Hadley - accordion, Ian Scherer - guitar, David Scott - sax, Dave Zirbel - pedal steel, Jess Petty - flugelhorn, Alec Axt - percussion

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario