Puerto Rico Jazz

Puerto Rico Jazz
Puerto Rico Jazz

domingo, 19 de septiembre de 2010

CD Review: Alex Levin Trio - New York Portraits


Featured Artist: Alex Levin Trio

CD Title: New York Portraits

Year: 2010

Record Label: Alex Levin Jazz

Style: Straight-Ahead / Classic

Musicians: Alex Levin (piano), Michael Bates (bass), Brian Floody (drums)

Review:
The music of this trio sounds so full and powerful. Since the first notes of the first track, My heart stood still, everyone shine without getting in each others way, just like a group shuld be.

Some of the music is relaxing but intense at the same time like the music of the second track, Who can I turn to. Michael Bates shows his great technique on the bass intro of Last train to Brooklyn, giving way to the wonderful piano melodies on this Alex Levin original piece.

Is the first time I listen to these great musicians, but from now on I sure will keep an eye on them. Their playing is instictive and flawless. These guys just don't know how not to swing. They are in full swing in the classics Cheek to cheek and I remember you, the Alex original Blues for Charley and even the slow swing of Like someone in love.

Alex melodic and harmonic choices are always interesting. One can fully appreciate this on the piano solo interpretation of Gershwin I loves you Porgy and and the not so recognizable Gershwin piece, Isn't it a pity this time accompany by Michael on bass and Brian on drums.

All the music on this album definetly gives you that New York vibe, including the wonderful version of Body and Soul.



Tracks: My heart stood still, Who can I turn to, Last train to Brooklyn, Cheek to cheek, I remember you, I loves you Prgy, Isn't it a pity, Like somone in love, Blues for Charley, Body and Soul

Artist's Website: http://www.alexlevinjazz.com

Reviewed by: Wilbert Sostre

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario